So often on Mother's Day we hear Scripture quoted from Proverbs 31. In all fairness, I have done it myself in years past.
This year, however, I stopped to meditate on what it is about a mother's love that makes us cherish it so. We can have "phileo" or brotherly love. Cherished friends and dear family members often fit into this category. "Eros" is the love that draws us into the head-spinning, physical relationships that we share with our spouses. But perhaps a mother's love is so very esteemed because it is most like God's selfless "agape" love that puts another person before self.
Isn't that the story of our journey with our remarkable kids? We hold nothing back. We pour our entire selves into the care and raising of our exceptional children. Sleeplessness, sorrow, and fierce advocacy are only a few hallmarks of our parenting journey.
This is is what GOD has to say about our motherly love...
- A MOTHER'S LOVE brings a child into the world. (Ecclesiastes 5:15 & Song of Songs 8:5)
- A Mother's Love has endured great pain to bring forth another life since the beginning of humanity. (Genesis 3:16)
- A Mother's Love creates favor for her beloved child. (Genesis 27:9-14)
- A Mother's Love disciplines her daughters and sons. (Deuteronomy 21:18-20 & Proverbs 29:15)
- A Mother's Love leads the lost. (Judges 5:7)
- A Mother's Love inspires devotion and dedication in those around her. (Ruth 1:11-17)
- A Mother's Love fosters creativity. ( & 1 Samuel 2:19)
- A Mother's Love gives birth to wisdom. (2 Samuel 12:24 & 1 Kings 3:6-10)
- A Mother's Love is relentless in comforting her child. (2 Kings 4:8-37 & Isaiah 66:13)
- A Mother's Love connects her child to their Creator. (Psalm 22:9-10)
- A Mother's Love teaches her child the beauty of selfless service. (Psalm 86:16)
- A Mother's Love is born of the child of her heart. (Psalm 113:9)
- A Mother's Love cherishes her son or daughter. (Proverbs 4:3)
- A Mother's Love grieves poor choices made by her offspring. (Proverbs 10:1)
- A Mother's Love rejoices when her child chooses what is right. (Proverbs 23:24-25)
- A Mother's Love is her child's heritage. (Matthew 1:1-16)
- A Mother's Love is nothing compared to the love of God! (Matthew 10:37)
- A Mother's Love makes bold requests on her children's behalf. (Matthew 20:20-21)
- A Mother's Love shows up when she senses there's trouble. (Mark 3:32)
- A Mother's Love is there in the darkest moments when everyone else has turned away. (John 19:25-27)
- A Mother's Love goes to any length to save her child's life. (Exodus 2:1-10)
- A Mother's Love translates into a faith that is handed down through generations. (2 Timothy 1:5)
- A Mother's Love is to be honored and revered. (Exodus 20:12 & 21:15)