I can't see it!
- social skills
- attention and other desirable behaviors
- sleeping through the night.
- sense of purpose
- full night’s sleep.
How do we see with faith’s eyes?
- Focus on Love (Gal. 5:6). Faith is expressed through our love. My list of unseens that were fighting for my attention were all connected to my fear of the future and my anxiety about my ability to cope with the stuff that comes my way. The perspective of love (1 Cor. 13) helps me stop listening to the compelling arguments of fear and anxiety, at least for the moment. What does J. need? How do I express God’s love to him right now, at 2:42 am?
- Act in Love (James 2:20). Faith shows up as action. What loving, courageous action is needed in this moment? Imagining what God is able to do, through me, as an expression of love, helps me to close my eyes to the unseens. Instead, I see the grace and healing that He can offer to J, through my hands and presence. I imagine God’s immeasurably more and lean into the action I see.
- Receive His Love Gift (James 1:2-4). The experience of focussing, imagining and acting as a conduit of God’s love is a gift to me, thrust upon me at 2:42 am. Accepting it as a gift seems to explode the value of the experience, rushing it into all the corners of my being. And my faith grows.