|Pondering my Purpose|
As parents of children with special needs, we may find ourselves engaged in a daily battle to determine our QUEST, or our PURPOSE in life. I know that I do!
- My daughter’s a cancer survivor, so for 6 years we had a Relay for Life team!
- She was granted a wish from Make-a-Wish, so for years we participated in fundraisers for Make-a-Wish Wisconsin.
- She has a rare disease, so both my husband and I serve on the leadership team for the nonprofit organization for her syndrome (www.wagr.org).
- Our daughter is also legally blind, so I have participated in events with the National Federation of the Blind.
- I’m trying to encourage schools here in our district to rally to End the R-word, and have more inclusive school environments.
- Last year I was the person who got the Nevada governor sign the proclamation recognizing Rare Disease Day in Nevada, and I hosted the State Event at the Capitol.
|My Cat is Certain of My Purpose in Life|
- Is there anything about this that would be contrary to God’s
For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. Galations 5:17 NIV God will never ask you to do something that is in conflict with His commandments...He will never ask you to sin.
How Do We Know Our Purposes Here on Earth?
- Do I have an internal desire for this?
Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Psalm 37:4 NIV We will have a desire, sent by the Holy Spirit to DO this work that God has purposed for us.
- Is there external confirmation for this?
Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed. Proverbs 15:22 NIV That doesn't mean just surrounding yourself with "yes-men," that means asking people who KNOW you and KNOW God.
- Is there opportunity for this to happen? Well...that's pretty much what it means.
I'd been bothered by the amount of times that I hear people use the R-word since we moved to the Reno area. We just didn't hear it in our small town in Wisconsin. Our schools were against it, and celebrated End the R-Word Day every year. People wore t-shirts advocating to end the word, and they signed pledges not to say it. Hearing it around here just grated on me. So, I sent an e-mail asking the school district to participate in End the R-Word day next year. I said that I would be happy to help. I thought it would benefit the schools on so many levels, most of which by creating a culture of respect.
As a result of my e-mail, I was asked to join a committee of people who are working to re-write the district policy for students with disabilities. Well, hot-diggity! Sign me up!!!
- Is it contrary to God? No! God wants us to love ALL people...respect them, cherish them, and celebrate them.
- Is there a desire within me? Aaaahhh...YEAH! Clearly!
- Do others think it is wise for me to do this? That's a resounding "yes."
- Is there an opportunity? If I were still working in a an office full-time...it might be more challenging. But, my husband is supportive of me going to these meetings, and he will take our daughter to school on the mornings when I have to meet with the committee. I'm a substitute teacher, so I don't have to take days off, I just don't take a job that day. YES! There is opportunity!
But, ultimately...don't let all your QUESTS stress you out! Your ultimate QUEST is to live in HEAVEN with God, the father~and Christ, the son. So, in the end...it's all garbage compared to where we are heading. Our temporary quests here on earth are just to shape us and make us more like Jesus.
Pray: Heavenly Father, thank you that this world is temporary, and my final destination is in Heaven with you. But, while I'm here, help me to seek your will and to see your desires for me. In your Holy name I pray. Amen.