It's the Christmas Season, and face it, there are so many people for whom we feel compelled to purchase a gift. We rack our brains trying to think of something clever or unique to represent a token of our appreciation or affection. And our minds dare not wander to imagine the latest trinket or treasure we gave in a post-holiday landfill or at next summer's neighborhood rummage sale.
What is it about our frenetic culture that gets us spinning in such insanity representing the antithesis of the One whose birthday we supposedly celebrate? Why keep GIVING? Maybe it's the WAY you're giving or WHAT you're giving! Why not give a gift that has ETERNAL value?
Consider these 10 Reasons to Be A Cheerful Giver:
- It (allegedly) requires more muscles to frown than to smile.
- Studies show that helping others increases longevity of life.
- Volunteering decreases stress by increasing release of the "compassion hormone", oxytocin.
- Giving increases social interaction on a variety of levels.
- Focusing on others shrinks inward fixation on our own problems, giving us blessed perspective.
- Tax-deductible donations give us more control over how effectively our money is spent.
- Giving to others decreases pain intensity and depressed mood.
- Charitable acts increase personal physical immunity.
- Giving can create positive contagion beyond immediate friends or family.
- God LOVES it, so why not do it!
Today is #GivingTuesday™, a movement to create a national day of generous giving. Like its cousins, Black Friday and Cyber Monday, it has become an annual tradition each year following Thanksgiving. However, unlike its cousins, #GivingTuesday stores up treasures where moths and rust cannot destroy. By investing in loving people, bearers of God's image, a lasting impact is made far beyond Christmas.
We are thrilled to share the video slide show above, detailing some of the highlights of this past year at Snappin' Ministries. Hopefully, this little story of why we do what we do will inspire you to share the story with others, creating a ripple effect of "cheerful givers". If you would like to join this movement, click HERE to donate funds, or click HERE to contact us for volunteer opportunities.
It is our hope that by engaging in #GivingTuesday, your Christmas Season will look much more like the One who it is meant to honor. We can't out-give God, but we still could stand to have much more of the family resemblance of our Savior-come-to-earth, marked by the way we love others.
PRAY: How GREAT the LOVE You have lavished upon us, God! Keep our eyes fixed on You as we make every effort to bear more of the family resemblance in the way we give.
~ Barb Dittrich
Sources: 5 Ways Giving Is Good for You; 6 Ways Giving Makes You Healthy; 19 Healthy Reasons To Help Others