This year has been another of challenges and victories. Once again, I think both our parents and those who support them can feel confident knowing that we have achieved the mission "Our pursuit is to continuously support and encourage those living with the daily challenge of parenting a child with special needs, so that the genuine love and hope of Jesus will be experienced and shared in their everyday lives." Here are some of the ways we achieved that:
- January 14, 2012 – Family Bowling Party held at AMC Lanes in Waukesha, WI with approximately 48 people served with food, fun and door prizes.
- February 17, 2012 – Valentine’s Respite Date Night held at Cornerstone Presbyterian Church in Delafield, WI where we entertained 19 children, so that 8 couples could enjoy a rare evening out.
- April 20-21, 2012 -- Dozens of wonderful families and colleagues were reached through our booth at McLean Bible Church's Accessibility Summit in Tyson's Corner, Virginia.
- April 28, 2012 – Arbor Day Event at Zachariah’s Acres in the Town of Oconomowoc where kids had the opportunity to plant a tree, enjoy some crafts and warm up with hot cocoa and cookies with their families.
- May 30, 2012 – Dozens of SNAPPIN’s signature “TLC Baskets” were built by a small group of volunteers, ready to ship to parents in need.
- June 23, 2012 – Our collaboration with Zachariah’s Acres came to a conclusion after we took the lead with our annual Family Picnic on the property with approximately 4 dozen in attendance.
- June 26, 2012 – A small group including volunteers and some benefactors gathered at the “SNAPPIN’ World Headquarters” (aka The Dittrich’s Home) to celebrate “A Decade of Dedication,” recognizing what God has accomplished over the past 10 years of this ministry.
- August 14, 2012 – Once again, Oconomowoc’s KidsFest helped us to bring encouragement and build awareness through our booth there reaching hundreds of kids and their parents.
- August 24, 2012 – Back-to-School Respite was held at Cornerstone Presbyterian Church in Delafield, WI, giving 16 children a chance to have some fun while their parents got things in order for them before school resumed.
- September 30, 2012 – Awesome Autumn Outing at Lapham Peak State Park in Delafield, WI provided good food, fall beauty, creative crafts, fun games and special guest, Smoky Bear for a group of about 50 people.
- October 15, 2012 – After a year of intense, professional work, SNAPPIN’s Curriculum Committee, including members from Crosspoint, launched our new national parent mentor program. This innovative, one-of-a-kind program offers 3 months of training with live weekly video chat. The mentors will first meet with their new mentorees in late January of 2013 using unique, Christian study.
- November 30, 2012 – Holiday Drop & Shop Respite at Cornerstone Presbyterian Church in Delafield, WI offered a little "Happy Birthday Jesus" celebration along with games, crafts and crazy fun with all of our generous volunteers.
- December 13, 2012 – Our final event of the year was our “Friend, Can You Spare a DINE?” at Rocky Rococo’s in Oconomowoc, WI offering not only a chance to earn funds to support our organization, but also a time of relaxation and fun as families connected.
- Aside from these specific events, this year our organization provided $1,155 in gift cards, 66 gift baskets, $450 in direct aid as well as 3-times weekly devotional blog posts, 2 times weekly leadership blog posts, information distributed through Pinterest, Twitter and Facebook all for thousands parents connected to SNAPPIN' living with the challenge of raising a child with special needs.
PRAY: Lord, we give you all the thanks and praise and glory that You are due! You have been so faithful to parents like us in this past year. And we know You will continue to be faithful to us in the year ahead. Help us, Father, to be good stewards of the precious gifts you have entrusted to our care. And spread Your comfort and compassion through us as we touch the lives of those around us.