Where would we be without our friends? I, for one, would have made an extended stay at a local mental health care facility, if not for the support and prayers of friends.
Of course, there are friends and there are FRIENDS. The best friends help in crisis by:
- Praying with or for us when we can't pray for ourselves. (This is also known as "The fellowship of the mat." See Matthew 9:2)
- Knowing when to speak, and when to withhold opinions, just listening.
- Offering us a helping hand by bringing a meal, giving a ride, watching a child or the like.
- Laughing when we laugh, and crying when we cry.
- Encouraging and affirming us in our lowest moments.
- Refraining from gossip and keeping our confidences.
- Filling in the voids left by those who lack understanding.
My prayer is that God will bless you with dear friends like these. Make it your commitment to wisely chose people like this to be part of your "inner circle". And when God does bring them along, don't forget to accept their help!